Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Old post, 10/10/05: My Garden

As I mentioned, I want to re-post some things I wrote elsewhere that are garden related. Here is the first thing I ever wrote about my garden. I'm so glad I decided to write some stuff down! It's fun to look back, especially with pictures. Success or failure!

*****************************

One reason I fell in love with this house (we moved in a year ago) was the little area of the yard that was set apart from the rest. I decided to make a garden to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. Now, mind you I have not gardened in AGES and I was not too good at it then! Embarassed There was also an old but usable greenhouse. This coming spring I was going to buy seeds and start them there. I had already been poring over garden sites to make my plans. I didn't get to do too much to the garden this past spring but here is a pic of it in about May.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now of course I am pretty much back to square one after the hurricane. I worked hard on the garden last spring and it was worth it, for my enjoyment of doing it as much as anything else. I have been trying to clean it out since the hurricane but can't do too much till the weather cools off. One bright thing that happened is we lost the pine tree that was there Cool (We were going to get it cut down ASAP)

Photobucket

This is a shot of the greenhouse after the storm. I hope I can get a new one by next spring.

Photobucket

Last thing I want to say is, it was funny what was destroyed in the storm and what was not. Big old trees toppled, shingles came off houses. But in my garden there were still persimmons on the tree, a swim diaper hung on the clothesline, and while many of my plants died just from the beating rain and wind, this one seemed to PROSPER because of it.It has easily doubled in size since the storm. I am not sure what symbolic value is in there but I am sure there must be something, lol)

Photobucket

**************************

Well, it took a long time, but we finally got started. I'll be posting more of our progress along with the old stuff as I get the chance.

No comments: