Monday, March 30, 2009

Garden progress, 3.29.09

Here's what we did this weekend. I say "we", but I really mostly mean hubby and kids.

We built a new fence to block off the SFG area:


The main SFG is to the right. I want to move the clothesline and use the other side as well, but until then I'll just add a few things.

The gate for the new fence was once in the arch. Here is the arch now:


That rose is a "Joseph's Coat" and it's covered with buds! I can't wait to see it in full bloom, but for now here is a closeup:


On the right side of the arch, in the herb garden, there is a maypop vine (everything in the herb garden produces something edible). Turns out it's a host plant for the Gulf Fritillary caterpillar and they tore it up last year! But apparently it's coming back:


On the end of the SFG box we put in some cucumbers:


For the experimental plastic garden box we (thanks, hubby!) made a tomato cage:


And some of the flowers for this week:


I have two of these; they were here when we moved in. They grow very tall - should be visible over the fence pretty soon. I don't know what kind they are. Dark red, and fragrant.

The "rose corner"

The vinca vine doesn't bloom often and it's not showy, but I like it.


And finally, the zebra "cactus" that lives in my sunroom. I have collected zebra items through the years (not so much now that I'm in declutter mode) and bought this on a whim.


The long spike has an interesting little flower:

No comments: